Current Status of Farm Tours
We are happy to announce that farm tours are resuming for Spring 2022! Please read the following updated policies regarding farm tours.
Interested in learning more about farm animals or want your students to observe farm animals in their "home" environment?
The NJAES Animal Care Program and the Department of Animal Sciences welcomes visitors to join us on a guided tour of the Rutgers farm. Tours are provided to a wide range of audiences, from pre-school students to professional groups. We tailor your tour to fit the interest and the knowledge of our visitors. Tours are guided by either our farm staff or student farmers. Your tour will last approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Visitors will see cattle, goats, horses, sheep and pigs.
The farm is located off of Route 1 on College Farm on the George H. Cook Campus at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ.
- GPS location: 65 Sheepfold Lane, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Vehicles can park on the service road next to the Round House in a single file line.
- Please avoid parking on the grass and in front of barn doors.
- Meeting location for the tours will be in front of the Round House on Sheepfold Lane. Your tour guide will be there to meet you.
Please arrive 15 minutes before the start of your scheduled tour. This will give you time to get settled in before your tour starts.
- If you are more than 30 minutes late to your tour, the tour will be cancelled and you will be charged a $25 cancellation fee.
Minimum group sizes are 10 people (or be charged a $50 minimum fee); maximum group sizes are 100 people. Groups will be broken up into about 20 people per tour guide.
- The cost is $5/person; including chaperones. Cash or checks are accepted. Checks are made payable to Rutgers University.
Tours are available between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. March through October.
Please keep in mind that the Rutgers Farm is a working farm and can present walking hazards such as uneven terrain, mud and moving farm vehicles/equipment.
- There is limited stroller and wheelchair access around the farm.
- Please dress appropriately. For everyone's safety, open toed shoes, including sandals and flip flops are not allowed on any tour.
Food is not permitted on the Rutgers Farm.
For the safety of the visitors and the animals we ask you to follow a few rules:
- No feeding animals
- No running
- No climbing on fences or gates
- Your guides will let you know which animals you are allowed to pet
- No yelling
- No throwing anything at any time
- No open-toed shoes
All visitors must follow the rules listed above. If visitors do not adhere to the following rules your tour guide reserves the right to discontinue the tour.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. We look forward to your upcoming visit.
How do I request a tour?
- You will receive an acknowledgment of your request via e-mail, with a quote for your farm tour.
- Once your tour has been approved by Rutgers University, we will send a confirmation e-mail. You are not scheduled for a Farm Tour unless you receive a confirmation email.
- Tour requests must be made at least 2 weeks in advance of the tour date.